Monday, October 28, 2013

Loading Girl Me....1 Percent Complete

The past week has been quite interesting. The magic hormone pills have started to soften my skin and redistribute fat from my abdomen to my chest, hips, and butt. I lost 3 inches from my waist in the last seven days, to give you a sense of how dramatic the changes can be. In thinking about my transition, it strikes me that it takes about 2 years to get the majority of the effects from hormones, and I've just completed my first week. So, I'm about 1 percent done. Only 99 percent to go. How very exciting.

My relationship with my wife continues to be complex. Some days she loves me and is willing to give life together a try, and other days she hates me and thinks I am ruining her life by marching on to transition. She's been having trouble with the baby blues since the birth of our daughter in August, so I am hopeful that she will be better able to cope after seeing her doctor with this information today. It may not make our relationship work, but at least she will be able to make decisions for herself, and communicate with me, in a way that is healthy for us both.

For my part, I saw my therapist this afternoon. First time in four years. Not a thing had changed in her office, other than the fact that we both had phones which could access the internet. Ha! It was nice unloading the last four years of my life on her, and she took it in stride. Her big concerns were a) how we tell my 11 year old; b) whether my sexuality will remain fixed once I transition; and c) if my wife might be open to working with her, since she is an expert in dealing with spouses of men who become women. I have had more than a few thoughts about a and b, and I hope that my wife will consider c.

Thanks for reading!

Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment